Roger Federer has decided to pull out of the ongoing French Open on Sunday ahead of his fourth-round clash against Matteo Berrettini.
“After discussions with my team, I’ve decided I will need to pull out of the French Open today,” the 20-time Grand Slam winner said in a statement.
“After two knee surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation it’s important that I listen to my body and make sure I don’t push myself too quickly on my road to recovery. I am thrilled to have gotten 3 matches under my belt. There is no greater feeling than being back on court. See everyone soon!”
— Roger Federer (@rogerfederer) June 6, 2021
On Saturday, the 39-year-old had said that he would assess his further participation in the tournament after a gruelling 7-6(5), 6-7(3), 7-6(4), 7-5 win over Germany’s Dominik Koepfer on an empty Court Philippe Chatrier.
Federer had earlier suggested that he would look to preserve himself for Wimbledon which begins on June 28.