The INVEST Precision Medicine conference cast a spotlight on the role of children’s hospitals, biopharma companies, diagnostic companies and startups in biopharma innovation. The video recordings of the conference sessions are now available to view.
Pediatrics and Precision Medicine
A panel of precision medicine experts from children’s hospitals take part in a conversation that highlights the work being done to improve the way rare diseases and pediatric cancer is diagnosed and treated.
Moderator: Samuel Blackman, MD, PhD, Co-Founder and Chief Medical Officer, Day One Biopharmaceuticals
- Josh Bonkowsky, MD, PhD, Medical Director of the Primary Children’s Center for Personalized Medicine, Intermountain Healthcare
- Tomi Pastinen, MD, PhD, Director, Genomic Medicine Center, Children’s Mercy Kansas City
- Peter White, PhD, Senior Director of The Steve & Cindy Rasmussen Institute for Genomic Medicine, Nationwide Children’s Hospital
How Can We Improve Health Equity in Precision Medicine?
Targeted therapies for certain types of cancer to rare disease offer new hope for these patient populations. But how can we ensure that these treatments are also developed with minority communities in mind?
Moderator: Kemi Olugemo, MD, Executive Medical Director, Neurology Clinical Development, Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Kate Burke, MD, Senior Medical Advisor, PatientsLikeMe
Elisabeth Heath, MD, Associate Center Director, Translational Sciences Chair, Genitourinary Oncology Multidisciplinary Team, Karmanos Cancer Institute
Alyshia Merchant, Founder, Making Lupus Look Good
Software Supporting Biopharma R&D
(Sponsored by Komodo Health)
There is a lot of activity in the area of software companies focusing on cell and gene therapy R&D. This panel explores some of the diverse approaches companies are taking to improve efficiency and avert pitfalls in therapeutic development.
Moderator: John Reites, CEO, THREAD Research
- Aswin Chandrakantan, MD, Chief Medical Officer and Head of Life Sciences, Komodo Health
- Annie Harris, Director of Technology Enablement, Covance
Biologics and the Supply Chain Ballet
The pathway of delivering complex therapies to their destinations is peppered with pitfalls from the manufacturing process to maintaining extremely sensitive components in a controlled environment in transit. This panel highlights how different organizations in the biopharma supply chain are addressing the inherent challenges of producing and delivering cell and gene therapies and biologics.
Moderator: Frank Vinluan, Senior Reporter, MedCity News
- Joe DePinto, Chief Commercial Officer, Vineti
- Jason Foster, CEO, Ori Biotech
- Claudia Zylberberg, PhD, Founder & CEO, Akron Biotechnology
The State of Precision Medicine
Precision Medicine has been gaining ground as more and more providers prescribe genetics tests and more payers decide to cover it. In this panel, experts in the field provide a broad overview of where we are and where we need to go to make the promise and potential of precision medicine a reality.
Moderator: Jonathan Hirsch, Syapse Founder
- Daniel Knecht, MD, Vice President, Transformation Clinical Product, CVS Health
- David Spetzler, PhD, President and Chief Scientific Officer, Caris Life Sciences
- Nephi Walton, MD, Associate Medical Director of Precision Genomics, Intermountain Healthcare
Non Dilutive Funding for Life Science Startups
A panel discussion on non dilutive funding sources for biopharma and medtech startups from government research and industry grants to industry partnerships and venture debt.
Moderator: Stephen Nappi, Associate VP for Technology Commercialization and Business Development, Temple University
- Tom C.-C. Hu, Ph.D. MBA DABMP, Interdisciplinary Scientist/Project Officer, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS)
- Tiffany Wilson, President & CEO, University City Science Center
- Kelly Wylam, Director of Innovation Partnership, Ben Franklin Technology Partners
Photo: SusanneB, GettyImages